In order to attract highly qualified professionals to Lithuania and to compensate them at least partially for the costs of returning/moving from abroad, the Lithuanian government may grant an Arrival Allowance to these employees and their employers.
An allowance of EUR 3,444 (4.1 minimum wages) can be paid to those employed under a permanent contract. Foreign citizens can be granted the allowance as well.
You can get the arrival allowance if you meet these conditions:
- In 2022 and/or later, you are considered a permanent resident of Lithuania;
- You have lived abroad for at least 5 previous years before becoming a permanent resident of Lithuania;
- Your position is included in the list of high-value-added occupations for which there is a shortage of workers in Lithuania;
- Your average monthly salary is at least EUR 3444 (4.1 minimum wages) before taxes (calculated over a 6-month period from the date of employment).
When and where to apply for the Arrival Allowance?
The Arrival Allowance is granted and paid by the Employment Service.
The application may be submitted:
- through the administrative and public services system E-Government Gateway.
- through the administrative and public services system E-Government Gateway;
- upon arrival in written form;
by email email@example.com (only after signing with a qualified electronic signature);
- signed original documents may be sent to Trakų g. 39, Šiauliai.
You must apply through the Employment Service no earlier than 6 months and no later than 2 years after the start of your employment in Lithuania under a permanent contract.
Should you have any questions, please call 1883 for more information.