Driver's license

A comprehensive and user-friendly information about when and how to exchange a driver's license can be found on 'Regitra' video.  

Driver’s license, issued in an EU country

If your driver’s license is issued in an EU member state, it is valid in the entire EU.

You can have only one valid EU driver’s license. This license is issued by the institutions of the country where a person permanently resides. If you move from one EU member state to another, there is usually no need to change your driver’s license. You can use your driver’s license until its expiration date.

Driver’s licenses that have been issued in other EU member states are exchanged without any additional conditions or examinations. The foreign license can be exchanged the same way that one would change an expired or lost Lithuanian license – you just have to arrive to a “Regitra” office, have a valid health certificate, an ID and pay for a new license.

You can exchange a driver’s license for a Lithuanian one if:

  • your place of residence is declared in Lithuania and you live here for at least 185 days a year;
  • your place of residence is not declared in Lithuania or is declared for less than 185 days, but you are able to provide documental justification of having personal or work links to Lithuania (an employment contract made with a Lithuanian employer, proof that your children are attending a kindergarten here, etc.)

Justification for links with Lithuania can be provided if:

  • you became employed in Lithuania (and have all the necessary documents: an employment contract, a self-employment certificate, a business license, a record from the Lithuanian Labour Exchange, etc.);
  • you are a foreign student and are studying in Lithuania for a period of 6 months or longer (documents for proof: document from the educational institution);

Driver’s license, issued in a non-EU country

Driver’s licenses of third country (not belonging to the EU or the EEA) citizens are valid up until the person becomes a permanent resident of Lithuania, i.e. their place of residence is declared in Lithuania and they live here for at least 185 days every calendar year. In addition, foreign students that have lived in Lithuania for at least 6 months are also considered permanent residents of Lithuania. Upon becoming a permanent resident foreigner must exchange his non-EU driving license for Lithuanian one. Only foreigners who have a Lithuanian personal code (asmens kodas) and their residency declared in Lithuania, can exchange their non-EU driver’s license, i.e. national (D) visa holders cannot do it.

How to exchange a non-EU driver’s license?

To exchange your driver’s license that was issued in a non-EU, non-EEA country, you are required to pass driving theory and practical driving tests. Completing additional driving classes in Lithuanian driving schools is not required.

Whilst exchanging driver’s licenses issued in Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates or South Korea these requirements are not applied.

To take a theory test, applicants for driving licenses must produce the following documents:

  1. Documentary proof of person’s identity.
  2. Valid medical certificate confirming your state of health and psycho-physiological abilities are fit for driving a motor vehicle of a particular category.
  3. Health attestation certificate confirming your graduation of courses in First Aid Training.
  4. Earlier issued valid driving license, if any. If the previous driver’s license was issued abroad it needs to be officially translated into Lithuanian. If the driver’s license does not meet the requirements outlined by the Conventions on Road Traffic, an international driver’s permit must be submitted.

IMPORTANT: if your previous driver's licence was issued in the United States you have to provide an international driver's licence.

A driver’s license issued in a third country is exchanged if it is submitted to “Regitra” before the end of its expiry date. If the license expired whilst its owner was residing in Lithuania, the driver’s license can be exchanged if it is submitted to “Regitra” in the span of a year starting from the first day of residence in the Republic of Lithuania.

Read more about driving exams

Source: "Regitra" and the Lithuanian Road Police Service

Information updated: 2020-06-25
  • 8 800 22922

Toll-free numbers:

Calling from outside Lithuania (regular rate):

  • 8 800 22922

Toll-free numbers:

Calling from outside Lithuania (regular rate):