In the attempt to help Lithuanians abroad to keep in touch with the Lithuanian education system and to facilitate their integration on returning to study in Lithuanian schools, the Ministry of Education and Science grants authorizations to carry out distance learning programmes. Distance education can be of two types:
- When a person is taught all subjects, under the national curriculum framework of the Ministry of Education and Science. On completion of the general education programme, he/she is awarded a corresponding document, that is, a certificate of completing primary or basic education as well as a certificate of secondary education/maturity certificate (those who only completed part of the programme are issued a certificate certifying the completion of the respective part of the programme).
- Distance learning under the programme of ‘Lithuanistic education‘, that is, only courses in the Lithuanian language, literature, history and geography are chosen, on completion of which a certificate of completing this course is issued).
Distance learning is executed via Skype programme, using such methods as e-lessons, video material, etc. Learners are only required to appear to the educational institution in person to take maturity examinations (after completing the twelfth grade) and, in some cases, to have their knowledge checked after completing the tenth grade of compulsory schooling.
Distance education is free of charge and currently provided by the following educational institutions:
- Vilnius Ozo gymnasium (1-8 grades and I-IV gymnasium school grades)
- Šiauliai Simonas Daukantas gymnasium (persons up to 20 years of age, 9-12 grades)
- Šiauliai Sandoros progymnasium (1-8 grades)
- Akmenė Adult Education centre (persons from 16 years of age, 5-12 grades)
- Kretinga Adult and Youth Training centre (9-12 grades)
Lithuanistic education abroad is also carried out in formal (receiving partial funding from the Ministry of Education and Science) and non-formal (private) Lithuanian schools abroad. A list of all Lithuanian schools abroad is available on this website (in Lithuanian).
Material prepared according to information in Ministry of Education