The social assistance systems consists of two parts:
- Social allowances – financial assistance to disadvantaged residents (family allowances, social allowances, compensation for heating, cold and hot water expenses, and others).
- Social services – assistance in various non-financial ways (care at home, hot food delivery, delivery of the necessaries, elderly/disabled care facilities etc.).
Who can apply for financial assistance?
- Citizens of the Republic of Lithuania;
- Foreigners who hold a permanent residence permit;
- EU citizens and their family members who hold a residence permit in Lithuania, and who have been living here for at least 3 months (the latter is not applied if they are employed);
- Foreigners who have been granted with asylum, except if they already are getting a financial aid for integration.
When applying for a financial assistance, the value of the applicant’s property as well as his/her income cannot exceed certain amounts. In addition to that, other conditions need to be met (the person needs to employed, registered at a local Labour exchange, studying or other).
For more information please see here (in Lithuanian).
Source: The Ministry of Social Security and Labour