I am coming to work

In order for a foreign citizen to arrive to Lithuania to work, s/he has to go through the following procedure:

  1. Find a job vacancy/employer. The general way to do this is by searching in various websites that regularly upload job vacancies (more information on how to look for a job).
  2. Obtain a work permit/decision on the compliance with Lithuanian Labour MarketOnce an employer/job placement has been found, the employer has to go through necessary procedures at a Lithuanian Employment Service (unless a foreigner is highly qualified or will be taking an occupation that is lacking in Lithuania). The foreigner will have to submit documents to the employer (ex.: documents proving your qualification, personal information etc.). This procedure usually takes about a month, though there can be exceptions based on the specific requirements for the job or the job itself (ex.: if the position requires a highly qualified worker, one might be excluded from this process entirely). In essence, this step is completed mostly by the employer.
  3. Get a visa/residence permit. Once the foreigner has obtained a work permit or a similar document issued by the Employment Service, he can apply for a visa or a residence permit. The type of document also depends on his job and qualification, ex.: usually workers that receive a work permit can only apply for a national visa, which allows a person to stay for a year (and then possibly extend their work permit and get a new visa/residence permit).

Read more about how to get employed in Lithuania

What kind of document can I get?

If you are planning to stay in Lithuania no longer than for a year, you can obtain a national visa. National visas based on work are issued for seconded and seasonal workers, crew members of a ship. In all other cases, third-country nationals must apply for a temporary residence permit. Temporary residence permit issued for 2 years (for highly-qualified workers for 3 years) and can be renewed.

Based on the general procedure the issuance of a temporary residence permit will last up to 3 months and based on urgent procedure up to 45 calendar days.

Where can I apply for a visa or a residence permit?

If you are abroad, submit your application for a national visa or a temporary residence permit to an external service provider VFS Global , and if you are legally in Lithuania, submit your application for a national visa or a temporary residence permit to the Migration department.

If you have a work permit, a resolution that the work, which requires your high professional qualifications, meets the demands of the work market of the Republic of Lithuania, or resolution regarding compliance with the needs of the work market, then your employer should apply to the territorial Labour Exchange regarding the issue of these documents.

Which documents do I need to submit?

The list of the documents that you shall submit depends on your profession, qualification and salary. More information can be found on the website of the Migration department.

Do I need to legalize the documents?

Document copies and documents issued by foreign states (except for the passport) must be legalized or certified with an Apostille (except for the documents issued in Russia, Moldova and Ukraine, Latvia and Estonia) and translated into the Lithuanian language. The list of the states whose official documents must be certified with an Apostille is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania. Documents issued by other countries must be legalized (certified twice – by the responsible institution of the country which issued the document or by a diplomatic mission and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania). More information about legalizing documents.

Read more about documents required to work to Lithuania

Read more about how to find a job in Lithuania

Source: Migration Department

Information updated: 2023-10-25

Toll-free numbers:

Calling from outside Lithuania (regular rate):


Toll-free numbers:

Calling from outside Lithuania (regular rate):