One of the major obstacles that the new arrivals encounter is not being able to speak the language. It is quite difficult to learn the Lithuanian language; however, it is worth learning it if one wants to stay in Lithuania for a longer time. Several institutions organize courses in the Lithuanian language, and most them are in Vilnius.
One can get initial knowledge of the Lithuanian language while learning on the Internet, for example, on the websites loescen.com, surfacelanguages.com or flyent.online.
There is also a free and interactive tool Let’s be Friends which teaches to read, listen, understand, speak and write in Lithuanian. The course has been developed to work with a teacher who himself / herself starts a group for registered students, makes virtual appointments, communicates directly, and checks open-type tasks.
Free Lithuanian Language courses
National Employment service (UZT) offer free Lithuanian language courses. Contact the consultation number 1883 (or +370 5 250 0883) or e-mail email@example.com to find out more.
SPEAK is a social-tech startup that connects newcomers and locals through a crowdsourcing language and culture exchange program. SPEAK promotes the organic emergence of inclusive communities where locals and newcomers meet to share their culture and develop meaningful bonds by providing the platform and support for individuals to facilitate informal language learning environments and host community events.
About language groups:
- Sessions take place 2 to 3 times a week (90 min), in a total of 12 sessions led by a SPEAK language buddy.
- Language groups take place online and offline in Vilnius or Kaunas.
- Language materials and training are provided by SPEAK.
Join the group in Kaunas or Vilnius. Want to help others learn Lithuanian? Register here to become a buddy .
Lithuanian language courses in Vilnius and online:
- Language and Culture Institute Lingua Lituanica - Lithuanian language courses for individuals and groups, live and online. The course introduces students to Lithuanian culture, tests their level of Lithuanian, prepares for exams if needed. Prices start at EUR 240 for 50 academic hours.
- Kalba.Lt Lithuanian language courses live and online, in English and Russian, twice a week. Prices start at EUR 188.55 per month.
- Egoperfectus – Lithuanian language lessons for businesses and individuals, prices start at EUR 35 per academic hour.
- Language school "Lituana" – A1, A2, B1, B2 levels for groups and individual learners, via „Skype“ and live in Vilnius (EUR 20-25 per academic hour)
- Soros International House – business, specialised, general Lithuanian language courses in groups and individually, starting at EUR 20.99 per academic hour. The emphasis is on improving writing, pronunciation and speaking skills; the language centre is staffed by experienced teachers.
- The Department of Lithuanian Studies at Vilnius University – courses for adults, lessons are in Russian and English. Prices start at EUR 200 for an evening course. Some of these courses include excursions, guided tours, cultural lectures.
- Alfabet language school – learning in small groups and individually in Vilnius and online. EUR 300 for a 3 months course.
- Ames.lt – Lithuanian language courses in Vilnius, Kaunas and online, prices start at EUR 30 per academic hour.
- KTU Užsienio kalbų centras – A1 and A2 level courses. EUR 130 for 40 academic hours. Register by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vytauto Didžiojo Universiteto „Baltic Summer University“ - Lithuanian language course organised by Vytautas Magnus University, where you can improve your language skills and learn about Lithuanian history, culture, participate in online tours and meetings with notable personalities. Full price for the course – EUR 300, special price for Ukrainians – EUR 100.
- Ames.lt – Lithuanian language courses in Vilnius, Kaunas and online – prices start at EUR 30 per lesson.
- Amber Language Center – Lithuanian language courses live and online, prices start at EUR 24 per lesson, registration by email - email@example.com; +3706 2023377.
- Eurolingvija – Lithuanian language courses for adults and children – EUR 17-20 per academic hour.
- Klaipėdos universiteto Lietuvių kalbos ir kultūros akademiją – language courses including cultural events and guided tours, organised by University of Klaipėda.
- Academy of Global Languages – Lithuanian language courses for individuals and businesses.
Individual Lithuanian language courses
Lithuanian language may also be learned individually with private teachers. In addition, most universities which have international programs, offer Lithuanian language courses as well offer Lithuanian language courses for foreigners.
It is a non-refundable grant that allows enterprises to raise the qualification and build the capacity of their employees. This grant allows employee to choose a training program (there are a number of different programs, including Lithuanian language courses). If you wish to participate at the program you should contact your HR or team leader and ask for approval. For more information please see the website of Enterprise Lithuania.