Alytus District Municipality
Total population: 26,146
In 2018: Entered: 1,208, Left: 868, Net (change): 340
Unemployment level (02/2019): 11,4%
VDU (2018 Q3) (after tax): EUR 650
LFMI (2019) Municipal Performance Index: 26-28 (out of 54 district municipalities)
Alytus District Municipality is ranked high in the field of Municipal Management, with the budget and property management and efficient administration work standing out. It also highlights the convenience of transport, with the active involvement of the private sector in promoting competition and lower prices.
- Alytus District Municipality provides various business support, e.g. partially compensates establishment, website and rent expenses, participation in international business fairs, and partly compensates job creation costs.
- There are 12 general education schools in the district: 6 gymnasiums, 2 comprehensive schools, 3 schools-multifunctional centres, a school for children with special needs, two vocational schools, an art and sports school, three kindergartens, educational and pedagogical psychological assistance centre.
- In Alytus District, farmers are engaged in organic and traditional farming, alternative businesses and beekeeping. Rape, buckwheat, cereals are grown. Milk and meat production is developing. Alytus District stands out for its traditional crafts, culinary and cultural heritage.
Planning to return to Alytus District Municipality? Joint Global Alytus District!
Expected shortages of workers in 2019
- Upholsterers and related workers
- Specialist medical practitioners
- Metal working machine tool setters and operators
- Insulation workers
- Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and hatters
Professions with the highest demand in the municipality
For more information about the most and least demanded professions in the municipality, please see the Occupations Map
Average salary in Lithuanian companies
The Sodra website publishes data on average salary paid by companies and compares the average salary of one company with that of other companies engaged in the same economic activity or operating in the same municipality.
Companies with the highest number of employees
- Vita Baltic International, UAB
- Daugai Vladas Mironas Gymnasium in Alytus District
- Butrimonys Gymnasium in Alytus District
- Daugai Technology and Business School
- Simnas School of Agriculture
- Alytus District Simnas Gymnasium
- Stamita, UAB
- Vadema, UAB
- Alytus District Miroslavas Gymnasium
- Gilmera, UAB
The Employment Service assists individuals in their employment by appointing an individual specialist to draw up employment operating plans, provide refresher courses, and send individuals to complete vocational training programs; individuals under the age of 29 are offered the programme ‘Discover Yourself’ and may also be eligible for start-up support; a subsidy service is provided to older people (where the state covers part of the salary paid by the employer).
Employment Services Support for Mobility
Mobility support is the opportunity to receive travel reimbursement when travelling to work in another city. Travel expenses are reimbursed for up to 3 months from the start of employment or participation. The amount of compensation ranges between 25% and 33% of the minimum monthly amount (depending on salary).
Distances to nearest cities:
- Prienai: ~30 KM
- Varėna: ~40 KM
- Marijampolė: ~50 KM
The support funds are used to promote entrepreneurship and competitiveness of district residents, create new jobs, preserve old jobs, create new goods and services, implement advanced technologies, and contribute to the economic growth and prosperity of Alytus District. The following activities are supported:
- Reimbursement of costs of job creation
- Reimbursement of expenses of participating in exhibitions, fairs and business missions in Lithuania and abroad
- Reimbursement of consultancy services for the installation and administration of newly created or leased websites
- Reimbursement of costs for setting up a new business
- Reimbursement of expenses for consultancy on business plans, investment projects, applications and other documents required for financial support
- Reimbursement of costs of accounting consultancy during the first business year
- Reimbursement of costs for the creation/adaptation of business infrastructure
- Reimbursement of costs for starting an independent youth business
Business Certificates from EUR 1 per Year
Alytus District Municipality Council exercises its right and sets a fee of EUR 1 per year for 45 individual activities requiring a business license within the municipality and activities carried out throughout the Republic of Lithuania, except Alytus City, Kaunas City, Klaipėda City, Palanga City, Panevėžys City, Šiauliai City and Vilnius City, Neringa municipality territories and the Marijampolė City territory within Marijampolė Municipality.
Alytus District Municipality general plan foresees an industrial area of almost 400 hectares, including villages of Jasunskai, Navickas and Žaunieriškės. This territory is bordered by Alytus City Industrial Park in the northern part of Alytus City.
The establishment of Alytus District Municipal Industrial Park will create better business conditions for investors, increase competitiveness of Alytus District, promote job creation, strengthen economic position of the district and reduce emigration.
Support for rural communities and farmers
The Alytus District Municipality Administration implements the agricultural and rural community project financing facility from the municipal budget funds in accordance with the Alytus District Municipal Agricultural and Rural Community Project Financing Procedure.
Employment Enhancement Programme
Public institutions, businesses, communities, other not-profit organisations registered and operating in Alytus District, Alytus District residents engaged in activities under the Certificate of Individual Activity of a Permanent Resident of Lithuania, farmers who have registered their farm in Alytus District can apply for the implementation of the Employment Enhancement Programme of Alytus District Municipality. Selected employers who employ unemployed people sent by the Alytus Division of the Employment Service may be paid a salary compensation (50%) for the time actually worked by the unemployed person in accordance with the government-approved minimum hourly rate (including SODRA) and compensation for unused holidays (including SODRA).
Reimbursement of Travel Expenses for Commuters
Travel expenses to and from work may be reimbursed to unemployed persons who have found employment in Alytus District Municipality and are registered in the Alytus Branch of the Kaunas Customer Service Department of the Employment Service under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour and having the unemployed status. The compensation is paid to those who have worked for at least 3 months. Compensation shall be payable for subsequent periods of up to nine months. The municipal allowance is limited to a maximum of EUR 70 per month. Travel expenses for the unemployed to and from the workplace shall be reimbursed taking into account the distance from the place of residence of the unemployed person in Alytus District to the place of work, but not more than 20 km. The distance is calculated according to the shortest route indicated in the electronic map calculator maps.lt.
Other Business Promotion Measures in the Area
In the 2019 budget, EUR 209,000 is provided for business support. In 2018, new, more attractive business support facilities were approved. Reimbursement may cover up to 30% of expenditure on setting up business infrastructure, purchasing or renting non-residential business premises, and constructing or adapting buildings.
General level of education
Average number of pupils in a class:
Percentage of teachers holding highest qualification: 29 %
Olympiad prize winners per 10,000 pupils: 6.1
Proportion of pupils who passed the state maturity examinations:
Ministry of Education and Science Quality Map
A map prepared by the Ministry of Education and Science showing the differences in educational achievements among different municipalities. The map shows pupils’ achievements in the Lithuanian language and mathematics, as well as the average number of pupils in a classroom, statistics on the general situation in Lithuania.
List of educational institutions
Contact details and websites of educational institutions operating in Alytus District.
‘Labas, grįžau’ is a greeting used by people who haven’t seen each other for a while and met again in their home town. Some define this day in their calendar as the start of a new phase.
Multimedia narrative ‘Sugrįžę’ is a story about people who have returned to their native land from abroad or major Lithuanian cities. These are unique stories that combine different mediums: text, image, sound, revealing the motives for choosing to return, and the creation of a new life at home. ‘Sugrįžę’ is like a close look, allowing one to see that success in simple everyday things, responsibility for yourself and those around you, encourages one to look critically but positively at one’s home, however small.
Do you know or have an initiative or service that would benefit returning Lithuanians, incoming foreigners or compatriots living abroad? Let us know!
For active leisure:
- Alytus Sports and Recreation Centre. The only multifunctional entertainment and sports complex in Lithuania that includes a gym complex under one roof and a 50 m long eight-track swimming pool that meets international requirements.
- Adventure Park Tarzanija The Park, located on the picturesque bank of the River Nemunas, offers fun activities on 7 tree-top routes of different difficulty (including a route for 3 to 7 year-olds), experiencing free fall in the Scarp of Death, rope rafting across Nemunas or trying to catch in the crazy hills, taking a raft around Nemunas. There is also karting, a stud farm, an ice skating arena (in winter), a shooting range, a mobile sauna and a pizzeria.
- Bungee Jumping
- Watersports Park Vivi Wake
- Alytus Aeroclub. Club services include: aerobatic flights, sightseeing flights, sightseeing gliding, and pilot training.
- Water Trampoline Park
- Tennis Court
- Alytus Medical Rehabilitation and Sports Centre
- The two sports halls and the swimming pool, which are part of the Centre’s sports complex, are ideal places to practice different sports. Not only athletes, but also Alytus and city guests can train in the sports complex of the Centre: they can enjoy sports, swimming pool, sauna and underwater currents at a time of their choice.
- Trampoline space Jump4fun
- Kayak Rental
- Daugų Rowing Base. The Base is established in Alytus District., on the bank of Lake Didžiulis (Daugai). The two-storey guest house has living rooms and a sauna.
- Paintball, Airsoft, Shooting:
- Bicycle Rent Dropbyke
- Rental of Electric Scooters
- Rental of Electric Skateboards
- Speed Bike Track Bunda Kalvos
- Paddle Board Rental
- Airmen’s Club:
- Trip on Recreational Boat around Lake Daugai
- Trips on Pontoon Recreational Boat in Nemunas
- Horse riding:
- Alytus Youth Park has a skate park for extreme sports lovers (11 ramps and a parkour ground).
- Indoor kart track
- Cinema Dainava
- Bowling and Billiards:
- Muiželėnai Forest Recreation Area. The camp site has arbours, fireplaces and benches. Children are provided with sandboxes, swings, booms, ladders.
- Recreational area in Nemunaitis near Nemunas. Panemunė has a stone paved recreational trail, a viewing site, a fireplace, a resting place with tables and benches by the spring.
- Virtual Reality Entertainment
o Lake Didžiojo Dailidės Beach
o Lake Mažojo Dailidės Beach
o Daugų Rowing Beach
o Daugai Technology and Business School Beach
o Pivašiūnai Lake Ilgis Beach
o Beach in Simnas near Lake Gilutis
Things to see:
- Žuvintas Biosphere Reserve. It is the largest wetland in Lithuania with all types of marshes and a shallow lake. Nearby is the Bukta forest, famous for its hornbills, the smaller sister of Žuvinto Palios swamp Amalva and Lake Amalvas, and the nearby Žaltytis. All these different but closely related nature complexes are now protected in the Žuvintas Biosphere Reserve.
- Punia. A place of unique history where the Nemunas Loops Regional Park begins. In the town next to the church there is a lounge with benches and a parking lot. At the foot of the mound there are places for recreation. Mound Punia is one of the largest and most beautiful in Lithuania. It is said that the castle of Duke Margiris, called Pilėnai, stood on Mound Punia. In 1336, the famous Battle of Pilėnai took place here.
For more information see Alytus District Tourist Information Centre