Registering as a resident
Each person who becomes a permanent resident in Lithuania (that means who lives in Lithuania), when changing his/her place of residence must declare it, i.e., he/she has to inform the local authorities (eldership) about where he/she lives and how his/her place of residence has changed. This is related to the provision of social services and any other assistance in both services and social benefits (state social benefits are usually paid to the individuals who have declared their place of residence in its territory). A person acquires some rights only after he/she has proved that he/she resides in a certain location (e.g., voting in the local self-government, in certain cases – going to school, a kindergarten).
The following individuals must declare their place of residence in Lithuania:
- Citizens of the Republic of Lithuania who arrived to live in the Republic of Lithuania for longer than 183 days per year or changing their place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania.
- Citizens of the Member States of the European Union or citizens of the Member States of the European Free Trade Association who have arrived to live in the Republic of Lithuania for longer than three months within half a year or changing their place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania and who have acquired the right to reside in the Republic of Lithuania in the established procedure.
- Citizens of third countries who are holders of residence permits in the Republic of Lithuania and who arrived to live in the Republic of Lithuania or who are changing their place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania.
- Lithuanian citizens can declare their place of residence personally visiting an eldership or online through e-government portal on the Internet.
- Foreigners can declare their place of residence in the Migration Department (when collecting residence permit card) or they may do this in the eldership, where they plan to live. Foreigners have to declare the place of residence within one month after obtaining residence card.
It is noteworthy to draw attention to the fact that in declaring the place of residence at the premises, which belong to someone else, a consent of the owner is needed. An owner's consent can be proved by:
- providing signed rent agreement
- providing notarized owner's consent
- visiting eldership together with the owner of the premises
- confirming the consent through the e-government portal (only when declaration is filled online
Can a foreign national declare place of residence on the ground of having the visa?
No. only residence permit in Lithuania serves as a ground for declaration.
Does the foreign national have to declare the place of residence in Lithuania a first and only then to apply for residence permit?
No. the foreign national has to get a residence permit first and only then to declare the place of residence.
How to declare the place of residence for foreign student?
The foreign national coming to study to the Republic of Lithuania has to receive a residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania and the consent of the dormitory’s administration for declaration of the place of residence in the dormitory. The declaration of place of residence shall be delivered to the eldership according to the place of residence.
Can a foreign national declare the place of residence online via https://www.epaslaugos.lt/?
No, they cannot.
When leaving Lithuania for a longer than 6-month period it is necessary to declare the departure. It is possible to do in the eldership. The individuals who already left Lithuania who failed to submit a declaration before leaving, can declare it at diplomatic missions or consular posts of the Republic of Lithuania.
Also, before leaving the country, both Lithuanians and foreign citizens, if they were regarded as permanent residents in Lithuania for the purpose of paying taxes (residents), must submit the income tax declaration of an individual departing from Lithuania for good to the State Tax Inspectorate. This declaration can be submitted electronically through electronic declaration system or having filled in the form and submitted to the division of the State Tax Inspectorate.