Temporary residence permit
How long will the document be valid for?
Temporary residence permit is usually issued for 1 or 2 years. However, it might be issued for a shorter period. For the persons of Lithuanian origin and foreigners who have retained the right for the Lithuanian citizenship, temporary residence permit is granted for 5 years.
Where can I apply for a temporary residence permit?
Application for the issuance of the temporary residence permit and other documents is submitted to the Migration Department in Lithuania.
You must first submit an application for an issue or renewal of a temporary residence permit electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS). Upon submission of application and after booking the visit time through MIGRIS, you must apply for a temporary residence permit (renewal) in person within 4 months from the date of submission of the application to the MIGRIS and submit the biometric data and original documents.
(From 2023 documents for the issuance of a temporary residence permit could be submitted and TRP could could be received through an external service provider while being abroad).
How much will it cost to apply for a temporary residence permit?
Before submission of an application to issue/replace the temporary residence permit, foreigner must pay 160 EUR state fee (320 EUR for urgent processing), except when applicant is exempt from payment of state fees.
What documents do I need to submit?
- Application to issue/change the residence permit (electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System MIGRIS);
- Valid travel document (passport);
- A temporary residence permit (when it is being replaced);
- Documents confirming the ground for issuance of temporary residence permit;
- A document proving sufficient amount of funds for subsistence and return (a bank account statement, a work contract, or proof of their ability to support themselves financially. Sufficient amount for a month is equal of minimal wage in Lithuania. In 2022 it is 730 EUR, from 2023 it will be 840 EUR) There should be enough funds for the whole time of validity of a TRP or at least for one year;
- The undertaking that foreigner will declare her/his place of residence in Lithuania;
- Certificate regarding (the absence of) a criminal record. NOTE: criminal record is valid for 6 months. Foreigners who come to work as highly qualified employees can submit a statement written by themselves confirming that they do not have a criminal record;
- Health insurance;
- Documents confirming legal stay (f.e. visa) if application is submitted in Lithuania.
More information about the required documents can be found on the website of the Migration department.
Do I need to legalize the documents?
Document copies and documents issued by foreign states (except for the passport) must be legalized or certified with an Apostille (except for the documents issued in EU member states, Russia, Moldova and Ukraine) and translated into the Lithuanian language. The list of the states whose official documents must be certified with an Apostille is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania. Documents issued by other countries must be legalized (certified twice – by the responsible institution of the country which issued the document or by a diplomatic mission and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania). More information about legalizing documents.
How long will it take to process my application?
A foreigner’s application for the issuance of the temporary residence permit must be considered not later than within 4 months from the lodging of the application, and if applied on an urgent basis – not later than within 2 months from the date of submission of the application. On some grounds temporary residence permits are issued faster.
(From 2023 the duration of issuing temporary residence permits is changing. Based on the general procedure the issuance will last up to 3 months and based on urgent procedure up to 45 calendar days).
When can I apply for the renewal of temporary residence permit?
An application for the renewal of a temporary residence permit in general procedure with the accompanying documents must be submitted at least 2 months in advance and an application for changing a temporary residence permit and supporting documents must be submitted at least 1 month before the expiry of the temporary residence permit, but not earlier than 4 months in advance. Procedure might differ from 1 January 2023. More information will follow.
More information about documents (depending on the grounds of arrival) can be found on the website of the Migration department.
Source: Migration Department