Temporary residence permit
How long will the document be valid for?
Temporary residence permit is usually issued for 1 or 2 years. However, it might be issued for a shorter period. For the persons of Lithuanian origin and foreigners who have retained the right for the Lithuanian citizenship, temporary residence permit is granted for 5 years.
Where can I apply for a temporary residence permit?
Application for the issuance of the temporary residence permit and other documents is submitted to the Migration Division or the Migration Department (you should make an appointment online) or Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post depending on the grounds for issuance.
How much will it cost to apply for a temporary residence permit?
Before submission of an application to issue/replace the temporary residence permit, foreigner must pay 86 EUR state fee (172 EUR for urgent processing), except when applicant is exempt from payment of state fees. Issuance of temporary residence permit in general order costs 28 EUR, in urgent order – 56 EUR.
What documents do I need to submit?
- An application (application templates here);
- A valid travel document (passport);
- A temporary residence permit (when it is being replaced);
- 1 photograph (40x60 mm);
- Documents confirming the ground for issuance of temporary residence permit;
- A document confirming that a person has enough funds in order to survive in the Republic of Lithuania;
- A document about a place of residence in the Republic of Lithuania;
- A certificate regarding (the absence of) a criminal record. NOTE: foreigners who come to work as highly qualified employees can submit a statement written by themselves confirming that they do not have a criminal record;
- A document confirming that a person has a health insurance (insurance coverage 6 000 EUR);
- A list of his/her visits and stays in foreign states (it is required to mark whether a foreigner has been to one of the indicated states);
- Documents confirming legal stay if application is submitted in Lithuania.
Do I need to legalize the documents?
Document copies and documents issued by foreign states (except for the passport) must be legalized or certified with an Apostille (except for the documents issued in Estonia, Russia, Latvia, Moldova and Ukraine) and translated into the Lithuanian language. The list of the states whose official documents must be certified with an Apostille is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania. Documents issued by other countries must be legalized (certified twice – by the responsible institution of the country which issued the document or by a diplomatic mission and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania). More information about legalizing documents.
How long will it take to process my application?
A foreigner’s application for the issuance of the temporary residence permit must be considered not later than within 4 months from the lodging of the application, and if applied on an urgent basis – not later than within 2 months from the date of submission of the application. On some grounds temporary residence permits are issued faster.
More information about documents can be found on the website of the Migration department.
Source: Migration Department